NetScaler Gateway VPN clients and supported features
Citrix SSO refers to Citrix Secure Sign-On and is used interchangeably in NetScaler Gateway and NetScaler Gateway clients documentation.
The legacy VPN client was built using Apple’s private VPN APIs that are now deprecated. VPN support in the Citrix SSO app for iOS and Citrix Secure Access client for macOS is rewritten using Apple’s public Network Extension framework. NetScaler Gateway plug-in and VPN for iOS and macOS are no longer supported. Citrix SSO app for iOS and Citrix Secure Access client for macOS is the recommended VPN app to be used.
General availability of nFactor authentication support for Android devices would be available in one of the upcoming releases.
The following table lists some of the commonly used features supported for each VPN client.
|Feature||Citrix Secure Access for Windows||Linux||Citrix Secure Access for macOS||SSO for iOS||SSO for Android|
|Always On (user mode)||Yes (11.1 and later)||No||No||No||Yes (via MDM) Android 7.0+|
|PAC file||Yes (12.0 and later)||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Client proxy support||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes. See note 1|
|Max limit of Intranet Applications||512||128||No limit||No limit||No limit|
|Intranet IP (IIP) support||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Split tunnel ON||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Split tunnel reverse||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes. See note 5|
|Split DNS REMOTE||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes. See note 6|
|Split DNS BOTH||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes. See note 6|
|FQDN based split tunnel||Yes-Only ON (13.0 and later)||No||Yes||Yes||Yes. See note 5|
|Client idle timeout||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|Device certificate (classic)||Yes||No||Yes||No||No|
|nFactor authentication||Yes (12.1 and later)||No||Yes||Yes||Yes. See note 3|
|EPA (nFactor)||Yes (12.1 and later)||No||Yes||No||No|
|Device certificate (nFactor)||Yes (12.1 and later)||No||Yes||No||No|
|Push notification||Yes (12.1 and later)||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|OTP token autofill support. See note 2||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|DTLS support. See note 4||Yes (13.0 and later)||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Global server load balancing (GSLB)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- Setting a proxy in the client configuration on the VPN virtual server in the gateway configuration for Android 10 and later is supported. Only basic HTTP proxy configuration with IP address and port is supported.
- Only QR code-scanned tokens are eligible for auto filling. Auto filling is not supported in the nFactor authentication flow.
- nFactor authentication support for Android devices is under preview and the feature is disabled, by default. Contact NetScaler support for enabling this feature. Customers must provide their NetScaler Gateway’s FQDN to the support team for enabling nFactor authentication for Android devices.
- For details, see Configure DTLS VPN virtual server using SSL VPN virtual server.
- FQDN based split tunnel support and reverse split tunnel for Android devices is under preview and the feature is disabled, by default. Contact NetScaler support for enabling this feature. Customers must provide their NetScaler Gateway’s FQDN to the support team for enabling it for Android devices.
- For Split DNS BOTH mode, DNS suffixes must be configured on the gateway and only DNS A record queries ending in those suffixes are sent to the gateway. Rest of the queries are resolved locally. Android Citrix SSO app also supports Split DNS LOCAL mode.